Archive for September, 2010

Working the detail

Saturday, September 18th, 2010

Cleaned the carbs and reset which didn’t fix the flat spot. Fixed the speedometer (the spacer in the gearbox which prevents the inner falling too far to the rear of the car was lost during the rebuild). Fixed some rattles. Cleaned inside the font boot.

Nice day for a drive

Thursday, September 16th, 2010

Did a hundred miles in the Esprit. Going like a rocket and now with almost 400 miles on it I am using a few more revs..

A lifesaver for me (and my undertray)

Tuesday, September 14th, 2010

Like many esprit owners I’ve purchased many many dollars worth of blind nut inserting tools and done all sorts of stuff to try and make them stay there, and failed. Then I found this thing. I have now finished a couple of years occasional project to replace all the undertray fixings with them as they came loose and today I did the last one. I hope never to have to do it again. They fit into the same size holes as the nutserts originally had and I install them with some 24 hour araldite and there you go. The undertray is there for good (or at least till I want it off).

One problem down

Sunday, September 12th, 2010

Now up to 150 miles. Solved a crazy oil leak due to replacing the seal in the oil cap. ┬áNow I can put the undertray on and transfer my attention to the interior. I have decided to keep the pioneer cassette player which I’ll get repaired as all the new ones don’t suit the interior. Wile I’m at it I’ll fix the vacuum lines to the HVAC system to make the heater work and stop the vacuum leak interfering with the idle. Theres also a rattle in the drivers door to fix.

The brakes are good after the rebuild but the bendix pads are horrible.

100 miles on the clock

Friday, September 10th, 2010

Running great so far but hard to keep under 3500rpm. The lightweight pistons are really noticeable and it spins up really quick. Will be working on the brakes today.

Going ok so far

Tuesday, September 7th, 2010

Now it’s got 40 miles on it. Had a water leak but all good now. Tomorrow ill put the undretray on. There’s a leak in the vacuum system that controls the climate system that’s affecting the idle to fix too. Next big decision is whether to repair or replace the stereo.

First drive

Monday, September 6th, 2010

Runs great after a few hours tuning. Back in garage now to cool and then recheck levels and major bolts. Brakes are pretty hard and wooden but I am used to the rs14s in the exige now.

It’s alive

Sunday, September 5th, 2010

Not a lot of time today but got oil pressure primed (took two litres to fill the emptied oil cooler) and ran it in 5 short sessions. Got some air out of the cooling system and sorted all the other levels. Running poorly at idle but tomorrow is a tuning day.

Almost there now

Saturday, September 4th, 2010

Electricals done. Water system complete. Oils and coolants loaded. All panel work installed Spun it a few times but no oil pressure yet. Tomorrow will tell.

Getting there

Friday, September 3rd, 2010

Today did gear change. Clutch. Brake caliper. Muffler. Turbo oil lines. Throttle and choke. Installed new blind nuts for boot floor.